Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fire Pump - Jockey Pumps on Standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

phighley

Electrical
Feb 11, 2004
US
Hello All! I have a high-rise design with (2)electrically driven fire pumps and associated jockey pumps. The fire pumps are both generator backed with associated fire pump controllers/ATS units for each controller. No issue with the main pumps. The issue at hand with my local AHJ is his insistence that the jockey pumps also be connected to the standby source.

My argument is that no where in the NEC or in NFPA 20 does it require this practice. Has anyone run across this in the code. The AHJ's reasoning is that he does not want the fire pumps coming on while the building is on generator for pressure maintenance only. My reasoning is that it is unlikely that the pressure in the system is going to fall far enough to require activation of the fire pump for pressure maintenance (I believe it has to fall below 100psi but I could be wrong).

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While you are technically correct, this the battle you do not want to win! Do not argue with AHJ. Even if you win this battle, its does not augur well for your future projects.

It is not a matter of arguing with the AHJ - quite frankly we all put them on pedestals when there is no need. I have respect for the AHJ's but let me be quite blunt - they are not liable for any design - I am as the PE. While I respect their opinion - unless they have adopted the code they won't get what they want from me and I've been quite successful at implementing that approach. I've seen to many AHJ's cite incorrect codes or have wants and desires completely outside what has been adopted by the jurisdiction. I've had too many electrical contractors change something because of what the AHJ wanted only to have me reject their change order.

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement - they are not liable for any design. I have had numerous 'arguments' with the AHJ on fire design issues. In the end I've usually been able to sell my side of the issue, but the key point I always stick to is that _my name_ is on the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back