Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fire Resistance of Tilt-Up Construction in Cold Storage Facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeAAA

Industrial
May 8, 2024
US
Question: I’m researching the fire resistance of tilt-up construction in cold storage facilities. Specifically, I’m interested in understanding how tilt-up walls perform in terms of fire safety. Are there any specific guidelines, standards, or case studies related to this topic? Additionally, does the use of tilt-up panels impact insurance premiums due to their inherent fire-resistant properties?

Looking forward to hearing from anyone with insights or relevant information!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not at all. I am trying to help Owners of Cold Storage facilities obtain property insurance for lower rates. I am trying to understand from engineers what may make a Cold Storage facility a lower fire risk so we can identify it and offer lower premium expenses.

I am in the USA.

Some of your question can only be answered by the insurance companies

Does the building have a fire sprinkler system?

Suggest post the question here:::

Would help state which state this is in

Would help to know the thickness of the concrete

Check. Table 722.2.1.1 Reference only::

For fire safety,,, not just the walls ,,, but what is stored in them, how it is stored, how high it is stored…….

Mike,

I was on the insurance side of the business for 35 years as a Loss Control engineer. A few comments..

1. Set up a meeting with the insurance company engineering department for input. They are the best ones to advise you. I participated in many of these meetings. Afterwords I would generate “recommendations” for the new building with our minimum requirements. I would review all building and fire protection plans including site visits and witness fire protection testing.

2. The lowest premium depends on market conditions, hard market higher premium soft market lower premium.

3. Not all insurance companies have an engineering/loss prevention department. Some will charge for the service some will not. Depends on the size of the client, how many locations, annual premium, etc.

4. Remember the building code is a minimum insurance requirements will often be more involved.

5. Check out Factory Mutual, a large global insurance company data sheets for cold storage requirements to give you an idea what they may want/require. See REFRIGERATED STORAGE 8-29

Hope this helps.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back