Fire Risk Engineering project topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieterVk

Bioengineer
Sep 9, 2016
BE
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the industry. Now my employer wants me to write an essay/article about a subject I am willing to look into. Kind of a small specialization. But I can't find something interesting myself. I'm look into the field of fire risk engineering in chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, ... field.

Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To be honest, fire risk engineering does not look like a topic for a fresh starter (no offense - it requires a lot of education and experience). What is your background/experience, and what kind of subjects you are generally interested in?

Depending on the industry you work in, some of the topics may be:
- Energy footprint of the Unit(s) and ways of increasing efficiency;
- Verification of the sizing scenarios and resulting flows for pressure relief valves in the Unit(s);
- Creation of operating envelopes and Not-to-Exceed parameters for all equipment in the Unit(s).

Depending on your background and personal preferences, a lot of opportunities are out there...

Dejan IVANOVIC
Process Engineer, MSChE

Are you interested in fireproofing? There is a lot of published practices (all prescriptive), and they all say that actual extent and type of fireproofing can be changed or even eliminated if there is a proper and complete fire risk assessment and quantification in place. Depending where you work, some substantial savings could be achieved, or, on the other hand, some hazards that were unaccounted for could be revealed and eliminated. Just a thought.

Dejan IVANOVIC
Process Engineer, MSChE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back