Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fired Heater Vertical U tube Hydrotest

Status
Not open for further replies.

massad

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2006
SA
I have a question regarding hydro testing of vertical radiant tubes of fired heater.

The U tubes are being welded with the manifold and the manifold itself is in 3 pieces which is being welded at site also. After all welding activities are done the manifold circumferential joint and the joint between the manifold and the tube need to be tested. Note that there is no drain at the bottom of U tubes.

So my question is that if we fill the manifold and tubes with water then how do we empty the whole assembly? and then after emptying the whole assembly still there will be some water inside the tubes and manifold, so how to make sure that the whole assembly in completely dried from inside.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suppose you could machine plugs and incorporate fittings that can fit over the tube ends and blow out the water with compressed air. If successful, you can then warm up the bottom of the U tubes with a heater to dry them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back