Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Firewall rating between H2 and F2 occupancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billiejack

Electrical
Feb 4, 2010
US
I have a module that is about 40ft long by 14ft wide with a control room on one end about and a compressor on the other end. I am wondering if I can get away with a one hour fire wall between these two areas. The compressor is class 1 division 11 and the control room is unclassified. The compressor is H2 and the control room is F-2. Just a computer and some lighting panels etc. Local fire mashal is telling me i have to install a 2 hour fire wall. thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

see 2006 ibc section 414.2.4 exception;

assuming the space in question is a "control area" - space within a building where quantities of hazardous materials not exceeding the maximum allowable quantities per control area are stored, dispensed, used or handle.

if the building is type IIA, IIIA or VA, equipped with an NFPA13 fire sprinkler system and is 3 stories or less in height it would appear that control areas can be 1 hour separated;

the area and number of control areas would also have to comply with table 414.2.2;

worse case where 1 hour can be built would appear to be up to 3rd floor only 2 control areas allowed on the floor; 50% maximum allowable quantity per control room (see sections 307.1 (1) or 307.1 (2).

steve yarnall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back