Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firmware Update for GE Fanuc Series 90 Micro

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandohila

Electrical
Feb 2, 2012
US
thread791-126480

After days trying to update the PLC firmware I decided create this post to save others people time as I could not find a complete solution in forums. I hope will be useful...

=>Firmware Update for GE Fanuc Series 90 Micro via USB to RS422 Adapter (IC690USB901) utilizing Windows 7

- Download Series 90 Micro firmware release 3.10 at GE Automation Support web site You must register for free to get a SSO login and password. (I had to e-mail them because I could not register at the first time as I did not have a customer number)

- Extract the files and copy it to a USB Drive strait to the prompt (outside any folder).

- Download and install DoxBox at it is an MS-Dos emulator for windows that works much better them the windows cmd opening software for 32bits systems.

- Install the cable drivers, in my experience I had my USB Adaptor set automatically as COM5; as the GE firmware update utility just has just 2 options of ports (COM1 & COM2) we have to change it at:

Control Panel>Device Manager>Ports

At Port Settings Tab click in Advanced to set the USB adaptor port as COM1 or COM2
Also the Port Settings must be set as 19200bps; Data bits: 8; Parity: Odd; Stop bits: 1; Flow control: None

- Open the DOSBox

At the Z:> prompt:

Configure the serial port typing

serialX=directserial realport:comX (X must be 1 or 2 as you set in the Windows Port Settings)

Mount the USB Drive and run the firmware update utility typing:

mount A G:/ (where G is your USB Drive Letter)

Z:>cd A:

A:>install

Following the instructions in the installation document that come with the update utility you must have the PLC stoped;

Inside the firmware update utility press F3 to set the Port pressing TAB and ENTER to confirm

Press F1 to attach to the PLC and F1 again to Boot and Install the new firmware

After finishing the firmware update the installation utility will tell you to restart the PLC.

Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back