Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

First Book on Transformer Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transformer was patented in 1885 and this is the 125th anniversary of inventing transformers which changed human life on the globe dramatically making cheap energy readily available,anywhere.

So far there are 90-100 books published in English language on Transformer Engineering.What is the first book on Transformers?I made a search and my conclusion is it is "History of the Transformer"by F Uppenborn,published by E&F.N.Spon,London in 1889.He was the chief of electro-technical station in Munich and was also editor of a german journal on electrotechnik.He wrote the book first in German and then translated in to English.The 60 page book gives a concise history of the development evolution of transformers from Faraday (1831)to Zipernowsky,Deri and Blathy(1885),the inventors of transformers.He wrote the book after referring to many patents and book is illustrated with many sketches of the original inventions.The book was priced at 3 shillings

In the same year another book was published by the Electrician Printing and Publishing Company in London titled "The alternating current transformer-in theory and practice-vol 1 The induction of electric current" by J A Fleming.Sir Fleming was professor of electrical engineering in University college,London.This 600 page book (by the time of 6th edition in 1900) soon became so popular that it can be considered the J&P transformer book of 19th centuary.Between 1889 to 1900 several issues(the word edition was not popular at that time)were published revising every time.This book went deep in to the theory and principles of AC power and followed by a second volume titled "The utilisation of induced currents"in 1892.The 4th issue of the vol 1 was selling at 8 shillings and 2nd issue of vol 2 at 12s6d in1893.

During those early days of electrical engineering hundreds of books were published on subjects as wide as lighting,electric traction,electrochemistry,electrical instruments,bells,telegrahy,telephony etc.Some of the titles were also amusing eg "Electricity in the diseases of women"!

I believe electicity was very usefull in powering devices to help with womens hysteria back around the turn of 19th/20th century. Until then some doctors experienced serious hand cramps from treating such women.

Now of course, the doctors would get locked up for that kind of thing.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Still used today, if you are refering to ECT (Electroconvulsive Therapy) Nobody getting locked up yet.

While the treatment may induce convulsions in extreme cases ECT is not I believe what I'm talking about.

Something like that Waross, and I'm wondering if I was wise to open that from work.

If you look at the wiki link (think twice before looking from work) you might discover it's the old treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back