Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

First offshore structure - Guidance needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LQQD

Structural
Apr 14, 2012
UY
Hi everyone,

Im designing my first offshore structure. It is a riser for natural gas and consists of, 40m, vertical and inclined steel piles
(about 48" diameter, 1" thickness) that go up to a 13m x 13m concrete plataform. So it's a small and simple offshore structure.
I have no prior experiece on offshore engineering so i've been having some trouble with the terminology.
At the moment im trying to determine material specification for the steel piles through ISO 19902. I am using material category method.
Also, im designing a pipe bridge that goes over a breakeater. So i will need to specify materials for this too.

I would find it very helpfull if anyone could recommend some literature at least to catch up with terminology. For instance i'm not quite sure if i should treat the piles as "piles" or "legs" as from table C.1 from ISO19902. And i can't find any category in which the pipe bridge could fit. I was thinking of classifying them as "Bracing". Also, would tis piles, 48" outside diameter and 1" thickness classify as "Pipes"? should i look at table C2 or C4? Stel grade should probably be around 65Ksi.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back