Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fit with tolerance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollinhultz

Mechanical
Jun 3, 2007
US
I typically work in metric(mm) and use the JS9 fit with tolerance for dimenioning shafts such as 8mm to 7.97 JS9 +/- .02mm. I found the JS9 through trial and error without really understanding the numbering system employed. I want to know more about the whole shaft fit / hole fit system employed in the dimension properties so I do not need to go through a lot of trial and error to find a workable countrpart in inches as JS9 does not work for me there. Besides I prefer to be as educated and informed as possible about all aspects of using Solidworks ad designing n general. I am on my third textbook written by Solidworks experts and not one has covered tht part of the software or it's use in design. Where can I get good information on this subject?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rollinhultz,

I am not sure you will find what you are looking in any SolidWorks textbooks (Matt Lombard only mentions fits in passing in his SolidWorks 2007 Bible). For fits, CBL's refereneces will help. But no book (or website) will tell you everything SolidWorks is capable of.

As for the JS9 fit... The fit table is divided into three groups: ISO, ANSI Inch and ANSI Metric. According to SolidWorks, they used some "standards" book for ANSI Inch that did not list those fits in it, thus they were not included. In fact the ANSI Inch and ANSI Metric tables do not match either. This was suppose to be fixed in SP 4.0 but sadly only a couple of fits were added.

SA

Thanks for that info. Machinery's is on the way and since I'm 50 years old I got the large print edition! I considered getting the CD verion but I already stare at
Solidworks etc for 8-10 hours/day so I figured I'd give my eyes some rest. I will probably read the reference for recreation as well as consult it for solutions to mechanical problems.
After working in the field for most of my life I have finally gotten my dream of designing which I know I can do as long as I breathe, but I have much catching up to do since I lack experience (and degrees) in many of the facets of the design work. It is good to know there are people like you out there willing to lend a hand! Gracie Mile!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back