Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fitting an elastomeric material

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcmbl

Oct 22, 2004
GB
Hi guys,

I'm using a hyperelastic foam core in my FE model. I am using Abaqus to fit the material so that I can optimize the parameteres defining the foam core during bending. The parameters are: mu (i.e., shear modulus), alpha (i.e., shape of the stress-strain curve) and beta (i.e., shape of volumetric response) which is a function of nu (i.e., Poisson's ratio).
Obviously the design space initally chosen was quite large, ranging mu=(10^-5, 4); alpha=(-25, 25); nu=(-0.8, 0.4), since I has no idea where exactly to look for feasible parameters.
In Abaqus, I have defined the order of the hyperfoam N=2, to have somewhat a sensitivity wrt parameters.

After optimization, whereby minimizing a functional related to the volumetric expansion and bulges on outer skin, which has a great impact on the aerodynamics, I got these values:
mu1 = 2.455926, alpha1 =-15.338828,
mu2 = 3.370209, alpha2 =-11.944445,
nu1 =-0.422784, nu2 =-0.610916.

I was just wondering how feasible is this design space and how feasible are the optimized parameters in terms of manufacturability. I have no idea how to assess these or if they represent a real material.

Please give me a hint on these.

Cheers,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back