Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fitting Cabinets to a room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodtruant

Materials
Jul 22, 2011
How do I accomplish inserting cabinet assemblies in to a room model and have the cabinets equally resize based on the size of the room?

I have a wall that's 145 1/4", and I want 6 equal cabinets along that wall. What if that wall changed to 142 1/8"? Can I make a model that can dynamically update my cabinets, and resize them equally?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. You want to used what's known as master modeling technique to accomplish this. It's a bit complicated, but there are some basic steps. In SW (IMHO) the best way to accomplish this is with multibody parts. Make a "skeleton part" that contains the room constraints. Insert that part into another part and model your cabinet with the proper restraints so it will be 1/6 of the width. Complain to boss that you don't make enough money. You can then save the bodies as their own parts and reinsert them into an assembly if necessary. Updating the skeleton part will force the other to update.

Dan

Dan's Blog

Look at DriveworksXpress, too. Unlike the other 'xpress' tools in SolidWorks, you can get it to work in an assembly environment as well.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

Ultimately I'd like to be able to:

-Draw the room outline and extrude the walls.
-Insert cabinets from our library.
-Mate the cabinet ends/bottoms together.
-Use the walls to drive the sizes of the cabinets. (We do a submittal drawing, get it approved, then go out and take actual dimensions of the room, then edit our drawings accordingly).

What's the most effecient way to accomplish this? While making it repeatble in multiple room configurations for different clients/jobs?

C. I'm really new to solidworks. I've been drawing custom retail fixtures and cabinets in autocad for 12 years. Finally making the move to 3D, and trying to automate the process. If I have to draw every single cabinet part, I'd go nuts. :p

Thanks again!

I'm not very familiar with Drive works, but I've done similar equal length automated adjustments just using ( equal ) relations with in sketches. you constrain the sketch segments only on the outer atachments ( the walls )I'm pretty sure this can be accomplished using a design table as well that allows equal length relations with in the sketch entities. It may not need to be done as an assembly, but as a single part. I've installed many cabinet configurations and rarely are they equally divided cabinet widths in the real world. So, do you have set standard widths and need to make up the differences with one or two customes? or do you just use fillers? OR are these just for showing to a customer and you want to make a nice picture?

We make everything custom to fit. We use fillers at each end.

This might be something that we just accomplish with configurations.

yep, for every wall condition the installer gets 1" of scribe. If the cabinets go wall-to-wall, then there is 2" of scribe. In a corner there is always 2" of adjustment in each direction, 1" can be used as scribe...if you go any further the door pulls collide with adjacent doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back