Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fitting two plastic parts 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMotionGuy

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2010
US
Hello, my first time here on the forum.

Anyhow, I deal mostly with the optical inspection systems here at work and I've been doing that for quite a while...but my boss asked me to prototype something for him that is out of my realm of expertise...

It is simply a 4" round disk, 3/8" thick of ABS -- inserted into the top of it will be a 1/2" DIA rod of ABS about 6" long. In reality, the rod measures between 0.5020" and 0.5050" along the shaft.

I need to design the interface between the disk and the rod. And i have to be able to do it myself with our limited equipment.

I don't know much about press-fits nor do I think i have the required skills to get the tolerances right in addition to the limited equipment. Would an 1/2" DIA end mill 0.3" deep and an adhesive be a good route to take?

Thank you for your help, I appreciate any insights you might have!

-Dale

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That will work... But does it all need to be optically clear or is it just something to store your wedding ring on. depending on the wear of the end mill,etc.. you are not guaranteed to make a .500" hole with a 1/2" end mill. Heck no need for the end mill, just glue the rod on the face of the disk.

The device will eventually have a cleaning polymer on the bottom of the disk and a grip slid over the nylon shaft. It will be used as a manual cleaning device for a very specific application. I don't think it would be strong enough to simply "glue the rod to the face of the disk" do you?

But the end mill will be brand new, as I don't have a 1/2" one that I can find laying around.

You should get close enough. I'd break the edge of the rod and drive it into the disk with a mallet. The ABS will give.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

I agree with all of the above-- press fit should be ok, lightly break the edges using sandpaper, and solvent bonding/welding using a few drops of acetone or MEK.

Alright, thank you everyone very VERY much! :)

My parts just arrived about 30 minutes ago, so I am going to get to work!

You've been quite helpful!

Regards,

-Dale

Um, if there is no precision alignment required then just make the blind hole in the 'disk' a tiny bit over sized on diameter compared to the 'shaft' and use adhesive. If you can afford to have a fillet of adhesive between the shaft and disk even better.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back