Fixed Headed Auger Cast Piles - Embedment into the Pile Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armar007

Structural
Feb 14, 2005
US
Hello,
I am structural engineer designing AC Piles for the first time. I have a situation where I am using 2- 18" dia. ACPs (w/ Pile cap) to resist moment and shear in both orthogonal directions. (Pile cap is supporting 45' tall H-Frames for a flare line). I don't see much of a problem along the two piles, but in the direction perpendicular to H=Frame (and two piles), I have substantial moment to resist.
The shear and moment values in the pile are within allowable limits. However, one of the senior engineers is insisting that in this situation, pile must be embedded in the pile cap by about 1'. I have never seen so much embedment before. I have seen 4" embedment on most and 6" embedment on some jobs. I tried looking for any guideline that dictates or gives guidance on the amount of embedment but to no success.
I would greatly appreciate if any of you experienced and knowledgeable folks here have any input or a pointer to any document that might have this info.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
-Arvind

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The piles must be embeded enought to transfer the moment. For piles (of any type) with significant moment transfer 12 to 24 inches of embedment is not uncommon.

For a more technical response I suggest posting this in the "Structural engineering other technical topics" form.

Mike Lambert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back