Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fixed Ladders - Side Rail Stiffness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maturin

Structural
Dec 12, 2003
CA
I am designing a 30' ladder (approx) that will not have any intermediate supports along its height. Is there a rule of thumb regarding the required stiffness of the ladder side rails to satisfy serviceability requirements (i.e. ladder does not shake or sway excessively to cause discomfort to the climbers).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As my preference, CC.1.1 and CC.1.2 of ASCE 7-05 are good places to start. L/360 for vertical deflections that are walkable and L/500 for horizontal deflections. Perhaps someone else has a better suggestion.

Start with - but don't stop there! - at the minimum OSHA requirements for 200 lbs force (up, down, sideways) of the handrails at 36" above tread height at the most critical point (the point furthest from any support) of your system.

Apparently, this will be midpoint of your railing.

This temporary (overhaul or construction) or permanent?

Thanks for the responses.

The ladder (not handrail) is a permanent installation and is replacing an existing ladder. The ladder sway that workers are currently experiencing is in the plane of the ladder (i.e. parallel to the rungs). Out-of-plane direction is not a problem.
The current side rails are C6x8's and the slenderness in the strong axis is approx. 177. If the rungs rotate on the channel web (i.e. no Vierendeel action) then the slenderness ratio in-plane is much higher. Probably a safe approach would be to match the slenderness for both the strong and weak axes and not consider any strength contribution from the rungs.

The problem I've run into there is that you can assume the ladder hangs from the top support, in which case, very little stiffness is required to meet the strength requirements- you could use a rope ladder. The channel stringers sound like a reasonable approach. If they are not doing the job, then it may be advantageous to mount a conventional ladder on a larger beam, rather than making the ladder itself stiffer. Ideally, you'd want to be able to grasp both the rungs and the stringers while climbing.

FB 2 1/2x2 1/2x3/8" @ 10' max support
Angle 2 1/2x2 1/2x3/8" @ 20' max support
C4x5.4 @ 30' max support...
these are are as old as dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back