Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fixed Volume Condensing and Evaporating

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcgonag

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2010
US
Interesting little design question.

Say I have a bottle of refrigerant (closed) and I put a thermal input to it. Will the pressure rise and thus the boiling point rise as the liquid evaporates?

Flipside of that as it cools, the condensing pressure will drop as the bottle is cooled?

I have a rankine system with a large charge. I need to control the condenser pressure by removing charge. My theory is I can convert part of the gas section to liquid to drop the low side pressure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe this to be a basic thermodynamics problem. I lent my thermobook out, I am getting it back this weekend and will figure it out. I just wanted to check my work.

Charge level must be in a certain range based on system design. A reservoir is used to make the system less sensitive to charge level. Evaporator and condenser pressure depends on compressor flow rate and heat loads. What you suggest doesn't not sound like a good idea. Try to gain a better understanding of how the whole system works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back