Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fixed working directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucasBS

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2010
BR
I've searched, but none with this same problem.

The startup directory is never the one I'd set in the previous session.

"Start in" is set to "D:\Documents\", but PROE ignores it and goes to "C:\Windows\System32\"

'file_open_default_folder' IS 'working_directory'

????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are using a shortcut (link) from your desktop or other convenient location to start Pro/E then right click on the shortcut, click on "properties" and set the Start in directory there.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

In our case the "start in" dir is a temporary directory that is cleaned upon login. Proe generates some temporary files that you usually do not need in your working directory. I am not much in system admin but I think you should set your home directory from your account settings. The start in directory and the home directory can be two different dirs.Be aware where you put your config files. This depends on whether you are the only user on the system.

Double check that the shortcut start in dir is valid, The only reason I know of for Pro/E to ignore it is an invalid setting.

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

I'm the only user on the computer.
Standalone license and everything.

Where do I set the "home" directory ?

I've changed the start-in dir on proe's shortcut to C:\projects
I gave that folder complete control to everyone. Sure proe can access it.

But no.
The thing insist on C:\windows\system32\

This may be a stupid question, but have you checked that C:\Windows\System32\ is the working directory?

I say this because on my computer, when I open Creo, the first directory opened is My Documents, but when I click on the working directory it goes to where I set it to open from.

Ahh!!! You may need to set this config option:

file_open_default_folder working_directory

'file_open_default_folder' IS 'working_directory' on 'Tool' > 'options'
Double checked that.

I'm starting to think that I am missing the concept of working directory...

Let me explain what I do, then you tell me if I'm doing anything wrong:

1 - I open ProE.

2 - Without any Part or Assembly or Manufacturing or any kind of work open, I click on File, then 'Set Working directory'
It starts on C:\Windows\System32

3 - On that window, I navigate to C:\Projects, and click OK.
Period.

4 - Then I close ProE (Prompt : Yes - as I have no opened work).

5 - Finally, I reopen ProE, and click 'File' > 'Set working directory' to verify if the thing is C:\Projects, as it should be.
But NO, the son of a ! is back to System32.

Where is the error ?

robertib, 'file_open_default_folder' IS 'my documents' on your case, probably.

And your Creo is obeying the law, as it should be.

I wish it did like yours on mine...

Lucas,

Set Working Directory like you do ONLY applies to your current session of Wildfire. That is why closing Wildfire and restarting it is still pointing to the C:\Windows\System32.
The icon that you use to launch Wildfire from on your desktop should have c:\projects in the "Start In:" field when you do a right clcik and Properties on it.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

A suggestion may be to make sure your "start In" location in the shortcut properties is the location of your config.pro file. Otherwise you will be loading the default or at least that is how it is with our setups. Other than that is sounds like a permissions issue with windows and ProE. Starting in C:\Windows\System32 is what seems the most odd to me. Before I had mine configured the way I like it would start in the ProE installation directory in some kind of \text directory.

Good luck,

- J -

'Config.pro' is at "C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 5.0\text", Not "C:\Projects"

Is that the issue here ?
"text" folder, mr jvian... Interesting, not ?

The desktop shortcut points to an executable: proe.exe

Config.pro:

chamfer_45deg_dim_text iso/din
drawing_setup_file
$PRO_DIRECTORY\text\iso.dtl
format_setup_file
$PRO_DIRECTORY\text\iso.dtl
pro_unit_length unit_mm
pro_unit_mass unit_kilogram
template_designasm
$PRO_DIRECTORY\templates\mmks_asm_design.asm
template_drawing
$PRO_DIRECTORY\templates\a3_drawing.drw
template_sheetmetalpart
$PRO_DIRECTORY\templates\mmns_part_sheetmetal.prt
template_solidpart
$PRO_DIRECTORY\templates\mmns_part_solid.prt
todays_date_note_format %dd-%Mmm-%yy
tolerance_standard iso
tol_mode nominal
weld_ui_standard iso

file_open_default_folder working_directory
override_store_back no

Above all, my friends: so far I have not thanked you. I do so now. Thank you all !

Pro/E automatically loads 4 config files on startup (if they exist) in this order:

1)<load_point>\text\config.sup
2)<load_point>\text\config.pro
3)startup_dir\config.pro
3)$HOME\config.pro

<load_point> is where Pro/E is installed, in your case it appears to be C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 5.0\.

$HOME is whatever you have set your Windoze environment variable HOME to. In Windoze 7 it is usually C:\Users\user_name.

Settings in files loaded later will override pervious settings except those in config.sup which can not be overridden.

So you config.pro in the text dir is exactly where one file should be and it has nothing unusual. If you don't have any of the other config files, that's OK, Pro/E will just skip them and carry on.

Where is this startup_dir ? Is it a folder ? where ?
If it's supposed to be an environment variable, it is absent.

Config.sup doesn't exist, and a copy of th config.pro I've pasted on the Home dir (in this case, the C:\projects - exactly as is on proe's shortcut, and on the environment variables)

If there's nothing on startup_dir, what next ?

Goddam, I'm formatting this thing...

dgallup meant the Start in: directory as defined in your desktop icon that you use to launch Pro/E from.
When I select Working Directory after opening Pro/E it displays the contents of the folder I have specified in the Start in: box of the icon properties.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Try taking a look at the batch file that is the target of your desktop Pro/E launch icon. It should be something like <loadpoint>\bin\proe1.bat. See if it is doing something non-standard like changing the directory or running some command other than proe.exe.

If all else fails, just delete the the icon you are using and make a new shortcut to the batch file. Set the startin dir and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back