Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fixing of pinholes and other surface imperfections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDogIron

Automotive
Dec 12, 2010
US
I am using West Systems Epoxy 105 with special clear hardener. I made a mold of a motorcycle chain guard and vacuum baggeda carbon part. The molded surface of the part is not SMOOTH. I tried sanding it a little and brushing more resin on to fill voids but the resin resists voids like the plague. Resin builds up fine where there is already resin but does not want to fill pits.
Any remedy?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Blow-of the part after sanding with compressed air to remove dust from the pits. Wipe the surface with acetone. You are probably brushing resin over the pit and trapping air in it again. Dab with the brush so the bristles carry resin into the pit. Too much brushing will create bubbles.

Lower viscosity resin may help. This can be done by adding solvent or heating with a heat gun (hair dryer), or both. Heat will expand bubbles, particularly if solvent is present. If they pop and the resin levels your pit is gone. Acetone is usually the best solvent for epoxy, but with some formulations it may interfere with cure.

It is better to make parts without pits in the first place.

I agree, avoiding pits in the first place is desirable :)
Lowering the viscosity sounds good. Didn't really have this problem with poly-ester resin.

Guess I didn't use enough resin to begin with?

Your problem is more likely air bubbles trapped in the resin rather than lack of resin. Wet layup of carbon is difficult due to lack of visual feedback. Practice with your resin on glass fabric and imagine how you would do things differently if you could not see the bubbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back