Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fixtureing on Water Jet/ Laser table

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordonMusser

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2006
US
I have a bunch of approx 40" long 6061 U channels that I need a profile cut out of. I plan to cut slots into a large .25" steel plate and use fixture clamps so all the pieces will be located in relation to each other closely, and so I can do several pieces during one run.

My question is, how hard is it to "index" in the whole sheet? I know how to do it on a mill, but no clue how laser/water tables reference their start position. cost is my biggest concern, as this part MUST be made CHEAP.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No experience with water jets but lasers use the corner of the sheet as their 0,0 position. The sheet is placed up against the clamps and a retractable gauge block as the clamps are closed.

I can see a few problems with trying to use a laser to cut a profile in channels. depending how you orrient the channels you could cut in either flange or the web but if you attempt to cut both you will not end up with a straight cut at all in the Z direction because of the kerf of the beam. Depending on the location of your focal point it could end up being a severe hour glass or V. How deep are these channels?

Do you own the machines you are planing on using? If not you should talk to the shop you are planing on working with and get their input.

I've had experienced with one Laser and several water jet (X,Y) tables and all were configured as posted by hendersdc with the exception of one water jet table where any position in the working area can be designated as home, (0,0).
Your manual should address this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back