Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flame rods or ionization probes fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neosec

Electrical
Mar 28, 2012
US
I read a post by op9 regarding the theory of operation of Flame rods or ionization probes from back in July of 2007 - which was very informative. My question is, can a flame rods or ionization probes go bad? Are there any active parts in them that fail? My understanding is that these are simply a metal rod usually Kanthal (iron-chromium-aluminium). Am I correct that a build-up of foreign deposits that would reduce conductivity could be cleaned off with emery cloth? Other than that failures would be physical. Failure of the insulation required for mounting or failure of the terminal connection for the electrical wire. Right? I was speaking with an HVAC guy that said they do go bad... I wondered, how do they go bad?
Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Loss of insulation between the rod and "ground" is probably the most common failure mode.

This can occur from soot build-up on the insulator, or from various cleaning fluids or other liquids wicking in between the rod and insulator.

A couple other failure modes:

AC excitation supply voltage too low

Condensed moisture on flame rod when cold reduces area, signal too low

Rich, yellow flame is insufficently conductive, DC current too low

Flame rod made from coat hanger wire, brake tubing or welding rod will tend to fail is much shorter time than one made of Kanthal.

Ha ha ha Mint, you a funny guy! Safety relay? Engineers always use too many screws and way more parts than needed. I often put thing back together with a bunch of parts left over and they work just fine. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back