Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flammable/Combustible Maximum Allowable Quantities Interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jskruzny

Chemical
Feb 4, 2016
US
I keep second guessing myself on the interpretation of Table 2703.1.1(1) "maximum allowable quantities".

Link

2 questions:

1. Footnote e. We are currently storing flammable & combustible materials in a sprinklered control area. Some is stored in flammable cabinets and some is stored outside the cabinets. Do all the flammable materials need to be stored in flammable cabinets for footnote e to apply? Our current interpretation is that we have a 240 gallon limit outside the cabinets and an another 240 gallon limit inside the cabinets. Is this correct?

2. Are the quantities listed specific to that material? or, are they a total?

Example. If I have both Class IC flammables and Class II Combustibles stored in the same control area, what is my maximum allowable quantity? Is it 480 gal (after applying footnotes e & f) of Class IC AND another 480 gal of Class II? or is it a combined 480 gal?

I swear I saw something in the regs that made me think it was a combined limit. But, now I can't locate that statement and I'm second guessing myself.

I can't find a local resource that can help with these simple questions, so I'm reaching out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back