Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flammable Solid Sprinkler Design Info???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCREP

Specifier/Regulator
Feb 14, 2004
US
Does anyone have info on where to find automatic sprinkler design information for flammable solid storage? I have a warehouse with metal drums filled with "flammable solid" to about 10' high. It is a powder not a solid but by definition is considered a solid. It is a H3 occupancy and will be separated by a 1 hour fire separation as per 2009 IBC from an S1 occupancy (storage of class IIIB liquids). I can not find anything on the sprinkler design in NFPA or FM. My fall back is to call it Extra Hazard Group II .40/2500 occupancy as per NFPA 13 do you agree?

5.4 Extra Hazard Occupancies as per 2010 ED.

5.4.1* Extra Hazard (Group 1). Extra hazard (Group 1) occupancies shall be defined as occupancies or portions of other occupancies where the quantity and combustibility of contents are very high and dust, lint, or other materials are present, introducing the probability of rapidly developing fires with high rates of heat release but with little or no combustible or flammable liquids.

5.4.2* Extra Hazard (Group 2). Extra hazard (Group 2) occupancies shall be defined as occupancies or portions of other occupancies with moderate to substantial amounts of flammable or combustible liquids or occupancies where shielding of combustibles is extensive.

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Speaking strictly as a technician today.

On something like this I would enlist the services of a competent FPE because by paying him money he owns any possible problems in the future and not me. I would help out by obtaining an owners certificate but until actual layout that would be the end of it for me. Owners certificate, you have one, right?

I am not competent to make this call and as Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies "a man has to know his limitations."

You need to closely review NFPA 484, Section 15.3 before one starts to stipulate if sprinkler protection is required. You haven't indicated what is in the drums. If its combustible metals, sprinkler protection can accelerate the growth of an unwanted fire. I'm purely speculating on the contents being combustible metals but given the package design, I am highly suspect.

Until a hazard analysis is done by a qualified fire protection engineer - or - you are provided with more information, I would not stipulate an automatic sprinkler design.

A couple of questions one should ask:

A) Are these drums with removable heads?
B) Is a plastic liner inserted in the drum?
C) Any DOT or Transport Canada hazardous materials labels and if so, what do they indicate?
D) You indicated the stored material is a flammable solid. Who made that determination?
E) Are contents solvent-wetted for chemical stability?

Stookey

Thanks for the info. and help.

See below, the powder is used in the pharmaceutical industry. This is a 3rd party warehouse storing the material for the mfg of the material. I am sure I can get what ever info I want from the mfg because of the relationship between the two. Based on info below any other questions come to mind?

I may just throw this back to the warehouse and say hire an FPE to figure it out. Just trying to explore what others are thinking.

A) Are these drums with removable heads?
Yes
B) Is a plastic liner inserted in the drum?
Unknown, I will ask
C) Any DOT or Transport Canada hazardous materials labels and if so, what do they indicate?
flammable solid

D) You indicated the stored material is a flammable solid. Who made that determination?

Mfg MSDS
E) Are contents solvent-wetted for chemical stability?

Unknown I will ask.

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

LCREP

I'm sure the pharmaceutical manufacturer and customer have had the discussion and analyzed the required level of fire protection and design considerations. Given that its pharma its most likely not solvent wetted.

I recommend you look at NFPA 654, especially Appendix F. NFPA 654 will require the previously mentioned analysis.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back