Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flange mounted Equipment on ASME U stamped Vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.

samoht

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2004
NO
Description
An electrical heater are to be flange mounted on a U-stamped vessel. The vessel is delivered from the fabricator without the heater installed. Therefore the heater will not be included in the certification of the vessel.

Questions
1.Does the Heater need to be U-stamped?
2.If ASME VII is applicable for this assembly, which section would that be?
3.Are there any other code issues related to this assembly that we need to concider?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the electric heater an internal component of the pressure vessel? The code boundary of your pressure would end at the face of the flange the heater is bolting too. In question no. 2 did you intend to say sec. VIII? At my facility we have flanged tubular heaters that bolt up to various sec. VIII pressure vessels. These heaters are not built to sec. VIII. The heater manufacturer should be able to provide you with all the specifications of the heater. If your facility has an instrumentation department you want to get with them. I assume you would have at a minimum various electrical codes, or site engineering specifications to satisfy. You could look at to see the type of flanged tubular heater I am talking about.

Valero,

I have done as suggested by PVguy and posted this question in the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Engineering forum ref:
Code requirements for flange mounted equipment?

Anyway thanks for replying. Please find my answers to your questions below.

1. The heater does project into the vessel.
2. In question number two I meant sec VIII.
3. The heater manufacturer has concluded that since there is no welding on pressurized parts, sec. VIII does not apply.

you say: heaters, some types of heatewr need to be Code Stamped other are not.
you have to specify,
are you heating: air, water, any other liquid or steam?
one can not answer if there is not sufficient info; is it a secret gas or liquid?
genb

GenB,
Please follow this thread at
Boiler and Pressure Vessel Engineering forum ref:
Code requirements for flange mounted equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back