Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flanged Thermowells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjollnir

Electrical
Jul 15, 2009
AU
Is a weldolet/weldneck flange combination preferable to a sockolet/nipple/socketweld flange combination when providing a piping connection for a flanged thermowell? Does connection strength come into play? Assume that thermowell O.D. and insertion length are variable as required and that piping connection is 1 1/2" 2500# RTJ.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would have thought that at 2500# rating you might be wanting to NDT the welds anyway. If so, then the weldolet/weld neck flange would be the prefered route.

asme ptc 19.3 deals with thermowells. the concern is mostly related to the vortex shedding. if signifcant enough the vibration may results in failure. with weld neck you at least got a full penetration weld - much stronger than socket joint.

There is a company in Houston called WFI. They make a piece called a "vesselet" that looks like a flange, weldolet, and nipple but its all one piece. They forge it and machine it, so there is no welding. They probably have a website. I have never used one, but I recall that they make them in pretty small sizes. Richard Thompson, P.E.
Pipe Stress Engineer
Houston TX
S&B Engineers and Constructors, Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back