Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flanges of Steel Girders not Orientated in Direction of the Grain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

andriver

Civil/Environmental
Apr 29, 2015
US
I designed some steel girders... The way the fabrication shop "nested" the flanges on the steel plate, was so that it was skewed and not orientated with the grain of the plate. The flanges were skewed approximately 14 deg from horizontal - direction of the grain. My boss is currently out on PTO so I am just trying to do some research in the meantime to determine if this will be a problem. The girder will be loaded in bending so one flange will be in tension and the other in compression. I wanted to place this in the materials forum but noticed how little activity there is on it. Any thoughts in the meantime are appreciated.

Edit: Material is high grade steel - API 2H GR50

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This shouldn't be an issue, unless you have some really exotic metallurgy or welding issue

I watched an AISC webinar a year ago by Duane Miller -- talking about welding of course, but as part of that, he went into the different properties of steel relative to the rolling axis.

For transverse and longitudinal strength, steel yield and ultimate capacity was essentially identical. (Based on a Barsom and Korvink study)

(Also, this comes up commonly in curved steel girder flanges -- and I've never heard of any special consideration there).

They probably cut the flanges on the diagonal of 4x20 sheets for longer yield lengths and fewer welds. If your application is static, I wouldn't worry about it. If your application is dynamic (repetitive loads), you can do some testing to see if you have different characteristics that are directional.

How did you know the grain orientation was skewed?

Thanks Lomarandil, looking into it now.

Ron: I didn't, they haven't cut yet and received an RFI. They skewed it to be able to fit more pieces and thus order less material. Completely understandable. It will be under dynamic loading but it has a very short life-span (several months) so would not be concerned from a fatigue point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back