Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flare Flow Measurement- Past Experience with SICK FLOWSIC100 Flare -Insertion Ultrasonic Flowmeter? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instrument1352

Electrical
Apr 9, 2014
AU
Hello,

We have a flare gas measurement application on a 12" line for a gas plant.

The composition of the gas in not constant so we have phased out thermal mass as well as DP ones.

We have decided to use ultrasonic.

SICK has a model which is an insertion type from one side only, model FLOWSIC100 Flare. It is attractive as it takes little real estate and access platform is required on one side only.

I am not sure about the performance of such an insertion and do not want to solely rely on vendor's word.

Appreciate if anybody could share their experience with me.

Thank you.

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ask this vendor how this meter would perform when the flare gas stream has mist aerosols in it, or is slightly fouling. The typical US meter has its probes shielded in a recess so the probes are not blinded by these contaminants.

Thanks.
That's a very valid point and I am aware of the concerns. this has been addressed in API MPMS 14.10 Section 10 — Measurement of Flow to Flares, but it comes short to comment on this type.

Just to make it more clear, I am referring to model FLSE100-EXPR which is a single sided insertion probe holding both transceivers.

I don't know much about flares but wouldn't something like a flow nozzle or venture be a good way. A DP cell can be pretty much bullet proof.

Hi Roydm,
A DP device is not a good option for a multiphase or wet flow or when the molecular weight of the gas is not constant and known.
Cheers

Instrument1352 - thanks for the explanation?

Not having any experience with flares, why do you even need to know the flow, it's going up in smoke anyway it just seems silly to me to measure it.

Do you also need to know the composition?
I'm sure there's a good reason.

Cheers
Roy

roydm: M.A.R.P. Measurement Accounting and Reporting Plan. Each company is required to have these special meters to record and report any fluids being pulled out of the ground, put back into the ground, flared into the atmosphere and for custody transfer (AER Directive 17). Analyzers will be used as well to report and record emissions of toxic chemicals through a flare. The government wants to know. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING.

Before all this government reporting came in they would use flow measurement on their flare stacks to determine if any of their PSV's were passing or other valves that led to the flare line.

I've used GE's Panametric Ultrasonic Flowmeter with good results. With it, the BTU content is determined, which is what the US EPA requires for tracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back