Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flash point of marine fuels

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafikk

Chemical
Jan 22, 2005
CA
HI

for the termination of the flash point " pensky martens " of marine fuels samples ,wich has several viscosity : 30 cST, 60 CST, 80 cST, 180 sCT and 380 sCT0. I use
the ASTM D 92. It contain two methodes, A and B.
i would like to know which methode should be used A or B ?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Samy01:

First, the correct ASTM method is D-93, not D-92.

Procedures A & B are:

1.2 Procedure A is applicable to distillate fuels (diesel, kerosene, heating oil, turbine fuels), new lubricating oils, and other homogeneous petroleum liquids not included in the scope of Procedure B.

1.3 Procedure B is applicable to residual fuel oils, cutback residua, used lubricating oils, mixtures of petroleum liquids with solids, petroleum liquids that tend to form a surface film under test conditions, or are petroleum liquids of such kinematic viscosity that they are not uniformly heated under the stirring and heating conditions of Procedure A.

You should be able to determine which to use based on the characteristics and general classification of the various viscosity grades.

Orenda

thanks orenda

indeed the pensky martens ASTM methode is D 93...the ASTM D92 is the clevland methode.

I've contacted the constructor of our automatic apparatus, he mentioned that for the marine fuels with high viscosity, procedure B should be used, but i dont know how to calssify the fuels, hight or low viscosity, are there any chart or tables to classify the marine fuels according to their viscosity ? .

Samy01:

Procedure A is applicable to your 30 cst and 60 cst fuels (assuming these are not cut-back resids). The higher viscosity fuels (which are probably residuals) should be run under Procedure B.

Keep in mind that the principal differentation in the use of A or B lies in whether the fuel is a distillate or residual-containing. This should be evident upon inspection. Viscosity as such is not a controlling factor.

Orenda

Refer to any marine fuels web site or any testing agency website e.g. or do a search for FOBAS or DNV PS for details of the tests conducted.
You can also refer to the IBIA website for details (Independent Bunker Industries Association) and any of the marine fuel oil companiy sites such as ExxonMobil Marine fuels, Shell Maine Fuels etc who will provide detailed fuel oil specifications on their websites.
Marine fuels are usually referred to by the ISO 8217 standard which classifies them according to viscosity and density. A new standard is due which will also account for sulphur content and which will change the reference temperature from 100degC to 50degC. For example, and RH35 fuel has a viscosity of 35cst at 100C and around 380cst at 50degC.
MGO and MDO use the 40degC temperature for viscosity.

JMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back