Flash Prevention in a molding process

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeTraveler12

Materials
Jan 11, 2021
US
Hi,

We have a molding process where a material is poured into a cavity, sealed with a lid and then heated so that it takes the shape of the mold. Similar to injection molding but not quite. The issue is that the material provides enough cavity pressure to force the lid open slightly leaving potential for flash. The mold is made of plastic (not perfectly flat) and the lid is made of a malleable silicon in order to conform around the circumference of the cavity opening when closed/clipped into a mold. The process requires the mold to be in motion to continuously be filled and emptied over and over again.

My initial thought is to measure the opposing forces to gauge how much force is coming from cavity pressure vs being applied downward by the lid. However, I'm not sure of the easiest/best way to do this. As the process is always in motion and enclosed I don't see a way to use a cavity pressure sensor to pull readings with. I thought about using force sensors but again you run into the issue of having to tie it into something to take readings. I also don't think that a force sensor would be accurate enough.

My thought is to have more downward force to counteract the cavity pressure and help the elasticity of the silicon lid. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to improve this and prevent the potential for flash would surely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back