Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flat Panel vs. CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcchesney

Mechanical
May 14, 2003
US
Our IT dept. is finally getting around ordering new computers. They are planning on purchasing them with flat panel monitors. Because flat panels have a slower refresh rate than CRT’s, they asked if that was an issue with SWX. I haven’t run SWX with a flat panel, so I thought I would post the question. Opinions? Observations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never actually used a lcd yet, but I would still prefer a crt myself.

The reason I would prefer a crt are size and resolution flexibility. Generally, you can get a bigger crt than lcd for equal or less money. Plus, an lcd is pretty much limited to its native resolution. In most cases using resolutions other than native results is poor text and worse picutre quality overall.

Most lcds do not have very high native resolutions (at least not as high as I like to use). Take a look the resolution you use right now and the native resolution of the lcd screen your ITs are looking at. If it is smaller, you would probably rather have your old crt back, even if the size is comparible.

And, you can get flat panel CRTs.. like Sony ViewSonic series. I don't think you are going to find higher resolution with a LCD. CRTs are still viable monitors.

Wanna Tip? faq731-376
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

I agree with the other responses, plus you should bear this in mind. Current flat panel technology has limited service life. They say about 3 years. Now, I've had my CRT for..... I dunno, it's so long I forget - it has outlasted 3 computers!

Also you should really ask your users to test drive flat panels before you force them to use them. Some people have a hard time with them. They exhibit some thing often referred to as "false" or "virtual" resolution. They sometimes appear better resolution than they are due to the highly defined shape of the pixels. It is also sometimes referred as the "screen door" effect. It is kinda like looking through screen door mesh. Some love it some are indifferent, and some hate it because it gives them eye fatigue.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

We just had our new computers (with XP os, what a nightmare)and LCD monitors delivered last week. I would have say that in the short amount of time I have used it I would prefer to use my old CRT and my old os NT.

Image quality is just not as crisp and I do seem to be getting watery eyes more often.

While on thesubject of monitors, I highly recommend a visit to Best $250 I ever spent.

A little off the subject, but eye-strain and headaches always seems to come up in monitor debates.

[bat]I may make you feel, but I can't make you think.[bat]

We just returned an IBM T860 18" flat panel that we had for evaluation. It was setup next to a T260 21" CRT.

All of our CAD users, we use UG and Pro/E, liked the looks of the screen and they really liked the extra desk space they would get back. Our leases start expiring in Septemebr and we plan on replacing all CAD stations with the flat panel displays.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

One thing that no one has mentioned so far is pixels dying. If you get a lcd monitor with a native resolution of 1280 x 1024, it will have nearly 4 million pixels. It's very common for a few of them to die, and the manufacturers can be reluctant to take the monitor back just because 0.0001% of the pixels aren't working perfectly. I know that if I had an lcd monitor with dead pixels, the only thing I'd be able to concentrate on is that one pixel in the middle of my screen that is permanemtly stuck on/off. :)

I'm working on several platforms--one of which is a Sony Vaio with a huge screen (for a lap-top). I've been able to condense my 21" ViewSonic work space into this flat panel with no problems (about 14" viewable) except eye strain.

I highly recommend using computer glasses for CRT and LCD work to help reduce strain. Mine help a great deal, especially with slow refresh rates on CRTs.

Still prefer my 21" ViewSonic to the LCD, although I worked on a 19" Flat CRT and found that to have an excellent display with a high refresh rate (low fatigue) as well. If you're close enough to your monitor, it won't need to be quite as big as long as your resolution and dot pitch will allow you to cram your screen content into the limited space. I try not to get icons, text, etc. too small or even the best screen will waste my eyes.

Jeff Mowry
DesignHaus Industrial Design

For what it's worth, when I mentioned the screen-door effect, I deliberately gave no opinion. Your users need to make up their own minds. But having read some other posts, I will say that I personally have a real hard time with it. I've tried everything and I can't get past seeng that damn mesh!! I tolerate it on laptops, because I have to when travelling, but I have to limit my time or I get eye fatigue problems. Like I said, some love it, some are indifferent, and some hate it.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back