Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flat Pattern in Solidworks 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Dec 26, 2004
CA
Solidworks2005
I am trying to generate a flat pattern in the Solidwork drawing. If model was originally designed as sheet metal part, than there no problem, drawing view with flat pattern is generated properly. If sheet metal part is converted from the solid, then on the drawing view of the flat pattern I can see only outside shape of the part, all holes and features added to sheet metal are missing. Rest of the views is OK; model itself is OK and properly generates the flat pattern. The problem happens only in the drawing, flat pattern view.
Anyone, any suggestion?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you can often reorder your features to be included on your part before your final bends. Since you've already created your desired features, you may be able to drag your final sheet metal feature past your other features in the design tree.

Depending how you built your model this will be either easy or hard--but always possible.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, but my problem not with the features order, but with flat pattern view on the drawing only. And only if part was started as solid and than converted in the sheet metal part.

David.

I think I understand what you mean. When the flat pattern is generated for a drawing, it merely reverts to the last sheet metal bend feature in the tree. Anything after that feature is ignored. That's why I figured this was a feature tree order problem. All features need to be included within the sheet metal bending features to show up in the flat pattern for the drawing view.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

If your feature order is not the problem, check the flat pattern config. This config gets created automatically when the flat view is placed on the drawing. It will be a derived config named something like "DefaultSM-FLAT-PATTERN".

Make sure the features are in their correct suppressed/unsuppressed state, including the one that flattens the part (not by hitting the flatten button).

I think what "MElam" says is the most probable thing in your case. I usually get this when I create a part and insert bends and then have all the features. READ BELOW!!

Now,though I roll my bar above the sheet metal feature, and then do all my design and come back, the software bends the part just fine. But my flat pattern named as "DefaultSM-FLAT-PATTERN" will have all these suppressed.

All you have to do is go there and unsuppress everything except the "process bends" feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back