Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flat Pattern Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drhinehart

Mechanical
Apr 21, 2004
US
I have started at a new company and it is more sheet metal based than where I was at before. with that being said, we are experiencing some issues with the trying to create the flat pattern on the detail drawings. We have designers and detailers and the designers do not want to give the detailers write access to the part files that they are detailing from. When you try to create the detail of the flat pattern Solidworks wnat to create a configuration for the flat and write this to the part file. Well the problem lies if the part file is write protected then it can't finish the operation. Has anyone else experienced this problem and have you found a solution that will allow the write protection to stay in place?

drhinehart

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only workaround I can think of is for the designers to "Create new drawing from part". It does not have to be saved or even have a view placed onto it. Just starting a new drawing will create the flat pattern in the active SM part.

[cheers]

Sounds like a trust issue to me. The detailer cannot do his job because the designer thinks the detailer will change a dimension or something. Either have the designer make shop drawings, or hire someone you can trust.

SW07 SP2.0

Flores

Cadman, that is exactly what the problem is... Limey, I think your suggestion might work the best. Tell the designer if they are haivng trust issues then they need to create the flat pattern before releasing to detail.

thanks for the input..

If you are the owner, and the designers/detailers work for you, change the write access problem. You can also add something like PDMWorks and setup who you want read/write access.

Chris
SolidWorks 06 5.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back