Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flat pattern of circular T-Bar Solid

Status
Not open for further replies.

reharris16

Aerospace
Feb 3, 2014
US
All,

I am trying to find a program in NX that will alow me to create a flat solid for a T Bar metal that needs to be able to generate a flat pattern PRIOR to bending to its final geometry. The final geometry I want to have is attached (TIFF File), so let me know if you know any ways to do this. I tried using sheet metal and Flexible printed circuit design and that did not assist anything. Thanks.

Reggie

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume that it's critical that you know exactly how a straight T-Bar section, when rolled into the shape shown, will have deformed, correct? If it's that critical that you can't use basic rule-of-thumb practices, then you'll need to use some sort of finite element technique.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

A part cannot be formed with a uniform curvature to the ends from a straight part. It takes a certain amount of moment to curve a part, but at the ends of the parts the moment arm is reduced to zero, so it takes infinite force to maintain the moment.

Your flat part will have to be extended long enough to provide the moment and get trimmed after forming. It's also possible to set-up for continuous rolling, where the flat stock is formed into a continuous spiral, leaving the end flats on only the first and last bit of straight stock. In this case the flat part could be 20 foot long but result in many parts.

Metaform the edge of the base face onto a flat surface normal to the end section, then sweep the section along the unformed curve. Alternativly create an associative measure of the outside dimension then extrude the prifile using this measurement.

Khimani Mohiki
Design Engineer - Aston Martin
NX8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back