Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flat pattern of complex surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

antran7

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2002
US
Can Pro/E (more specifically version 2001) do a flat pattern of a sheetmetal part that has a complex surface in it?

I have a somewhat spherical emboss in a sheetmetal part, and when I do a flat pattern, it flattens everything but this complex emboss.

Any workarounds?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you use the "Flatten Form" feature?

It is located under Insert-->Shape-->Flatten Form (It is also on the sheetmetal toolbar, on the flyout with the form feature, right next to the form feature). Start the tool, select Form-->Define, and pick the rounded surface on the emboss, and then press done a few times (eek! 2001 menus coming back to haunt me in WF2!).

Hope this is what you were looking for. [smile]

Mark

Pro/E can be more adept than other CAD programs at making flats from complex shapes. However, the result is not something you can take to the cutting floor.

There are programs that can do this. Most stamping toolmakers have such programs. Look into Superform and its kin.

thanks for the help. i've noticed that the form or flatten features of pro/e gives un-intuitive, and probably wrong results. it's more like a projection than a real forming operation.

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back