Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flattening a surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzgl5j

Automotive
Sep 9, 2004
US
is there a way to make a surface perfectly flat in ugnx2 if any body knows it would be appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can extrude a line in a vector direction or revolve a line to create a flat surface.

You can also create a four sided shape with curves & create a Bounded Plane as long as all four corners are touching within the chaining tolerance.

What is the purpose and/or what are you working with?

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Unless it is a cylindrical or conical surface, you need to have the sheet metal module. I don't know it as fact, but I have recently read that you can use it to flatten sheets with "woven" characteristics, so more deformation is now allowed. Hopefully someone more familiar with that module will comment.

I use the Composite Flat Pattern Tool in NX1 and NX2. This can flat pattern with two options, Unidirectional or Woven material.
I think it may be used for other applications than composites with caution.

You need a special License to run that tool.
It was called Composite pipeline in NX1 but changed name in NX2. The tool is to my knowlegde the only remaining of "the UG composite module"

agree with erland
but in my opinion, except for cylinder, cone, or ruled surfaces(linear), other double curvature surfaces can not be flattened properly. it will be approximated and must be experienced in shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back