Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flattening compound surfaces without S-metal module.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TakTak

Industrial
Apr 8, 2005
GB
Guys, below in reference to archived thread561-103039 ,

I am attempting to flatten compound surfaces in NX3 without the sheet-metal module(thus without metaform + flatten tools). Currently it looks like I will have to 'estimate' by measuring the arc length of projected lines or section curves on my compound surface, transferring these to a 2D surface/sketch, then joining up the 'ends' to create my flattened surf.

This is clearly a somewhat laborious and inaccurate process - I require something much slicker. Do you have any suggestions? Perhaps a technique using a polygon mesh?

Obviously no solution will be completely accurate unless I permit the outer shape to change (think world map!)... however, something better than current technique would be HUGELY appreciated as this is one of my daily tasks....

Regards...Andy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So there really is no other way? Long-term I am sure we will be able to purchase the sheet-metal module, but for the time being I guess I am stuck with with the tedium. Perhaps I will think about automating the process in KF.

Regards-Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back