Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FLEXATTALIC GASKETS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandula1

Mechanical
Mar 24, 2009
US
Hi all,
I have a question regarding gasket selection gasket on my body flange flexattalic 304 SS is weak as my pressures are very high 3600psi on a Carbon vessel can you suggest me another good gasket which can with stand on this carbon vessel

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why would you say that the Flexatallic 304SS gasket is weak? What is your criteria for "weakness"? Does your gasket have inner and outer rings? That would help.

kandula1, Compress obviously does not know that virtually all spiral wound gaskets will be fitted with at least an outer solid metal ring that acts as a compression stop. For your pressure I would specify an innner ring as well. Besides serving as a compression stop these rings prevent the gasket from squirming or collapsing to the inside and from unwinding during handling.

I would use only a metallic gasket. You might also look at a "Kammprofile" style gasket, consisting of a grooved metal core with a soft facing. A solid metal gasket is also an option but will take a lot of bolting to seat it.

Contact Flexitallic, Garlock, Klinger or any of the manufacturers, they all sell the same stuff.

Regards,

Mike

Well, according to general clasification of flexitallic gaskets, you can choose gaskets of 150#, 300#, and so on. Maybe with one of 6000# is correct.

In the design of high internal pressure of the vessels you may use ring joints with/without combination of other type of gaskets.

You need to look at ASME B16.20a for acceptable pressure classes of ring gaskets.
R ring gaskets are for upto and ASME B16.5 pressure Class 2500, for upto and including API 6B pressure Class 5000. RX ring gaskets are for upto & including API 6B pressure class 5000. BX ring gaskets are for upto and including API 6B pressure Class 20000.

If you design the flange from the scratch or use API flanges you have the options above.

Hope it helps.

Ibrahim Demir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back