Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

FlexEX I/O Fault Monitoring and Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

typhonic

Mechanical
May 28, 2003
US
We are using Allen-Bradley FlexEX Remote I/O over ControlNet. The Discrete Output Modules are model 1797-OB4D/A. The CPU is a 1756-L55 Rev 13.25 and the programming software is RSLogix V13.03.00.

The trouble we are having is that when we enable I/O Fault Monitoring on the module, the output immediately faults. At that point the output will not function (cannot be turned on) and the fault cannot be reset.

The only way we have found to recover from this fault is to disable fault monitoring on the module, then pull the module and replace it under power.

I believe the output is correctly connected to a compatible, intrinsically safe solenoid valve. The problem, I suspect, is that I have not correctly configured the ControlNet. This is a small system with one ControlLogix Chassis and one FlexEX I/O drop. The configurable ControlNet parts are
1756-CNBR/D ControlNet Bridge, 1797-ACNR15/C ControlNet Adapter, and there is a fiber repeater link.

The instruction manual describes a two-tier fault state mechanism where the I/O module and ControlNET Adapter work together. However, the description is not very complete and does not adequately describe how to made this all work.

I was just wondering if any of you have run into this situation. I have not used Flex I/O so I do not know if FlexEX is different in this area.

Thanks
...John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello;
With fault monitoring on, click on the faulted module in the IO configuration tree. This module will have a small yellow triangle next to it. At the bottom of the screen, it should show you a description of the fault. You can also right click the module in the the IO tree, then click properties and a tabbed dialog box will come up. One of the tabs will show the module fault and should aslo allow you to reset the module.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back