Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flexible pavement design

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikram10051

Civil/Environmental
Jan 31, 2012
IN
i m designing a Hual Road for coal mines. the hualing truck will carry 160 ton of coal.
i m confused how to design flexible pavement as all codes and strandards are for standard axle of 8 tons, but in my case it is 32 tons...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here in the US, flexible pavements are empirically designed based on equivalent 18 kip axle loads. The design tables have equivalency factors for use with various axle loadings, including single axle, tandem axles and tridem axles. There are equations that can be used for equivalence as well.

When using elastic layer analysis for pavement design, equivalence is not an issue as actual loadings are used.

For your reference, try downloading a flexible pavement design manual from one of the state departments of transportation in the US, such as Washington or Florida. Both have their manuals online and they are free. Both states follow the AASHTO method of flexible pavement design for most designs, though Washington state has an elastic layer design as well.

If you can obtain a copy of BISAR, a computer program for pavement analysis/design, it will help as well. I do not have a copy and have found it to be difficult to obtain.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back