Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flexible Piping Insulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donkin

Petroleum
Jul 28, 2003
GB
I am involved with a new floating jetty instalation and need to transport various liquids at ambient temperature across from dock to the floating jetty.

My problem is how do I insulate (not heat trace) the flexible piping which links jetty to the dock.

Services include fresh water, diesel oil and sewage.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer for this type of insulation?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would use armstrongs armaflex brand insulation. It is a soft closed cell insulation that has very good temperature range for cold products, but a limited hot temperature range of about 195F. Depending upon the temperature differential of the product to the environment, multiple layers may be needed. You will also need to install an UV protector, usually a mastic, depending upon the service(hot or cold). I will add that this type of insulation is very easy to install

Donkin

Armstrong no longer makes it. It can be obtained at any refrigeration supply house.
I am not sure of your reason for the insulation and to where it will be applied? In the water?
Diesel oil and sewage may need to be double contained, better check with local codes.
Could you provide more information as it would satisfy my curious mind.

Good Luck

pennpoint

The jetty services shipping and the boats require fresh water, demin water and diesel. We also need to remove sewage to a treatment plant.

Fresh water flow is about 270 m3/hr (72,000gall/hr)the only reason for the flexibles is to take up the rise and fall of the jetty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back