Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flexible Tie Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heiko76

Structural
Feb 5, 2007
FR
Hello,

I am looking for a supplier/manufacturer who provides "flexible" tie rods. With flexible I mean, the tie rod has a kind of spring system included which allows the tie rod to stretch (when the tie rod is in tension) or to contract (when the tie rod is in compression). The delta of movement should be +/- 5mm. At best this tie rod is already certified for a use in civil aircraft. Thanks in advance!

Heiko

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When VWs were first engaged in off-road racing, suspension failures were not uncommon.
One of the first aftermarket products developed for that hard service was a flexible tie rod. It had standard ends, but instead of being straight, the actual rod had a gentle curve built in, so that excessive tensile/compressive forces just caused an elastic change of curvature. The simplicity appeals to my sense of style, but it might be too heavy to make an aircraft designer happy.

You seem to be imagining some arrangement like opposed cupped seats surrounding a ball, all preloaded by two compression springs. ... which could certainly be made to work, and similar arrangements were part of the servovalve assembly in early power steering setups.

For aircraft, it may exist already, I just don't deal in the right market to know about it.

Perhaps you could reveal which aircraft you'd like to put it in?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

What is it for? airliner, general aviation. Is it restraining significant mass. What do the failure cases look like.

Can you get away with using something like rubber isolating mounts. I think some of the overhead bins in airliners have sprung tie rods in them used in them. Although if you are only after a few, an aircraft scrap yard might be a good place to start (otherwise the manufactures tend to want to sell you something customized).

I have never seen an off-the-shelf tie rod device with the linear spring rate characteristics you describe suitable for use on an aircraft that will undergo certification. You will likely need to design, manufacture and qualify a tie rod for your specific application.

For many applications (in general), the end-stops / bump-stops can have some compliance.

Mentioned just in case 'end-of-travel' is the ultimate purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back