Flexural buckling failure mode 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsg25

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2021
US
Hello,

Ø5" x ? wall x 24" long HSS subjected to a 10 ton axial load.

Per the specification, the equation for inelastic buckling would apply (E3-2), but I wonder if flexural buckling would really be the governing failure mode? At some point, isn't the limiting factor just the compressive strength of the material?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're looking at the chapter for compression members in AISC. Therefore, there are three modes of failure to worry about:

a) Yielding of the material. This would control for members that have a relatively short unbraced length and which have a relatively large wall thickness. If you look at equation E3-2 you'll see that when Fe gets very large, it converges on Fcr = Fy.

b) Flexural Buckling of the member (whether it be elastic or inelastic). For Elastic Buckling this would be equation E3-3, for Inelastic Buckling this would be Equation E3-2.

c) Local Buckling based on the d/t ratio of the cross section. Essentially, the cross section is so thin that it would buckle before yielding or regular buckling occurs. This would be section E7.2.

Thank you, Josh.

I was pretty sure that's what the convergence indicated, thank you for clarifying. I will check for local buckling as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back