Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flexural strenght versus compressive strenght

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpfj

Materials
Nov 5, 2002
NL
Is it possible to calculated the compresive strenght when you have measured the flexural strenght.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on the test method used to determine the flex strength (center or third point loading) an ESTIMATE of f'c would be obtained by multiplying the flex by 4.5 to 6. As you can see the range is quite large and will not give a comfortable margin of certitude. If using beams to test for flex strength why not use the remaining ends to test for f'c?

Thanks for your answer, the problem is at the moment that we only can measure the Flexural stenght and not the f'c. By this I mean that the machine only pulls, we can not control the pushing movement.

HELLO I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE L-SHAPED BOX USED IN TESTING THE WORKABILITY OF SELF COMPACTING FRESH CONCRETE?
ALSO I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT ITS STANDARDS

A quick but unreliable coloration is to consider the compressive strength to be eight times larger than the flexural strength. This ratio depends on the level of strength of the concrete, that is : the higher the compressive strength the lower this ratio becomes. As the tensile strength increases with age in a lower rate than compressive strength.

Because of that and other factors (method of testing, size of specimen, shape and texture of coarse aggregate, moisture condition) , this relation should be ONLY used as an indication not as a decision making.

How ever; an expression used by ACI to relate tensile and compressive strength is:

ft = k ( (fc’)^1/2)

Where ft is the tensile strength, fc’ is the compressive strength and k is a coefficient relating to the factors mentioned earlier.

I used to have a study of the relation between compressive strength and the (flexural ,splitting ,direct) tensile strength tests I will try to find it for you.

I hope this answers some of your questions!
Drop By !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back