Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FLIR E4 electrical panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy32821

Industrial
Aug 24, 2003
US
I am going to buy a new camera for checking electrical panel. From what I have seen I like the FLIR E4. It's about $20k once you add software. Anyone know of a better camera for this application in this price range.

I have been using a "Snapshot" but I do not care for it.

Anyone have problems with the FLIR E4?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The product you mention is certainly well suited to this application. In a similar price range, I would also suggest you consider (in alphabetical order), the ElectroPhysics EZTherm (similar models sold by Land and CSI), Infrared Solutions FlexCam, ISG Spectra K6700, Mikron Midas, Monroe Infrared Technologies Heat FindIR, Raytek Ti30, Thermoteknix VisIR. A websearch should get you information on any and all.

All are good products that will do the job for you. I'd suggest you consider getting basic training regardless of the system you buy. While all are quite easy to use, it is also quite easy to make simple, but serious, mistakes using them and interpreting the images. I am, of course, biased as we provide training! But I am also painfully aware of the kinds of mistakes that can be prevented with even a few days of basic training and a few months of experience.

The technology is remarkable! You'll do well if you go into it prepared.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.
John Snell
Snell Infrared

We are currently having our E2 upgraded to an E4. It, as John states, is perfect for your application. It's compact light weight, and very user friendly. John is also correct about training. I took a level 1 course back in February and although I taught myself to use the camera and found some interesting things here at our plant I also made a few bad calls because I did not have a full understanding of IR. My field project for my level 1 was done at my own mobile home. I found 15 spots in the walls of my trailer that were not insulated. One was 10" wide and run from the floor to the ceiling. $42,000 home I THINK NOT!!!!!

Roy Gariepy
Maintenance and Reliability Dept.
Dorlastan Fibers LLC.
Goose Creek, South Carolina USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back