Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floating liner solution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTPB

Civil/Environmental
Aug 28, 2003
US
A small wastewater holding pond FML is experiencing problems with floating during seasonal high water tables. The pond is shallow and using concrete as a base to offset bouyancy will severely reduce the containment volume. Has anyone used a type of substrate anchoring system to secure a FML?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not so sure how to tackle your problem because the edge of the pond can be restrained easily by ground anchors ( drill holes in soil, insert reinforcing bars and grout the hole up with cement grout), mini piles (same as ground anchor but always in vertical direction and in diameter around 100mm) or simply cast a concrete perimeter wall (with sufficient ballast weight) capping part of the pond.

To anchor the pond to the substrate you need to know the soil characteristic before sizing the anchoring system. With concrete perimeter wall, it is based on the amount of dead weight and is probably the easiest solution in your case.

The pond could suffer damage if the upward thrust at the middle is excessive while the edge is restrained ( I am assuming your pond has not been designed to withstand such bending effect). To restrain the inner part of the pond you may need to dewater it, knock holes through, form structural connections using any of the above and make good afterward.

I can send you some company contact links if you are interested. I edit a publication that addresses design issues like this. (The magazine charts geosynthetics in civil and environmental applications.) I agree with the Bbird. It's a tricky issue.

I'll query some of my magazine's advisors and contacts today and steer them towards this page. In the meantime, if you'd like potential contact names (consulting engineers, floating cover design engineers, etc.), let me know.

All best,
-cK

Christopher Kelsey, editor
GFR magazine
gfr@ifai.com

Greg Richardson of Richardson & Associates ( wrote the following:

"I would suggest the use of 1/4-inch steel plate sections sealed into 60-mil HDPE sandwiches. I have used them beneath aerators to prevent uplift of the
gm and they were effective. Should do the same for bouyancy."

I hope this helps.

All best,
-cK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back