Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FLOATING TOOF TANK WITH H2S MIXTURE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isimbard

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2000
GB
Any advice on what parameters I should be looking at when considering using an existing 5000 tonne general refinery slops tank for a more specified duty, ie refinery slops and sour H2S slops.

What design codes / calculatiosn should be used ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hydrogen induced cracking (HIC), caused by H2S service, is generally only a concern on pressure vessels. However, current practice by most of the oil majors is to select tank materials which exhibit low hardness levels in the heat affect zone (HAZ) after welding. Generally the hardness levels are restricted to about 200 HBN or 248 HV 10 in the weld metal, HAZ, and parent material. If the intent were to design a new tank, I would recommend the use of a low strength steel such as ASTM A36 for shell, roof, and bottom. A hardness level of 200 HBN should be easily achievable with this material. With regards to design standard, I would recommend that you use API 650, “Welded Steel Tanks for Oil Storage”. On larger tanks where it is not feasible to use low strength steels, the norm is to use HIC tested steels. The chemistry of these steels also needs to be tailored so that the low hardness levels are maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back