Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

floating walkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatnfur

Computer
Jun 25, 2008
US
Hi all,
I have got myself an interesting problem in that I have to come up with a way to cross 30' of lake/cove water to access an acre of property. it has to be able to support a riding mower across the walkway and be able to swing 90 degrees for a neighbors boat access, or fold up and out of the way. I was thinking 5' x 8' sections of floating dock using plastic barrels or poly floats tied together and anchored to the seawall with a heavy duty hinge. I am unsure how I would swing the walkway one way or the other and how I would deal with the wind wanting to push it open or closed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well, for sure you will need a sturdy metal pole embeded to the bottom of the lake. Then you need to put a ring that is attached to the floating platform so it can slide up and down on the pole. Since you need to swing it, then you need some kind of a carabiner so you can unlock the rings on 3 sides (out of 4) so you can rotate it on one pivot point. Good luck! sounds like a cool project.

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

How about using helical peirs and create a bridge that boaters can drive under?

- EIT Geotechnical Engineer. I am here hoping to help, and learn a little along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back