Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Floor joist to Non-Load Bearing Shear wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_struct

Structural
Nov 11, 2020
NZ
As part of the residential renovation, we are adding a second level to a single-story house. The house is timber framed with timber subfloor framing on pile timber piles and perimeter ring foundation. The contractor has requested the new level be support by steel beams and posts, like a mezzanine construction. The timber joist and roof framing are support by the steel beams. This works well for hiding the steel posts in the existing walls and then supported on new concrete pad footings. The additional bracing capacity, we were looking at re-lining a number of the existing walls.

Perpendicular to the L2 story joist, the L1 bracing walls are down the hallway, which is at about mid-span of L2 floor joist. We want to get the shear in the walls but do not want to take the gravity load of the floor joist, as the subfloor framing does not have the capacity for the additional gravity load of half the joist.

Simpson has the truss to non-bearing wall connectors - can these be used in floor to wall connections. How do you recommend doing this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't see why you couldn't develop a detail that would allow vertical deflection while transferring lateral loads in each direction. Those bypass style clips are what I'm envisioning.

Thank you for the responses. Floor squeak is a potential issue with those clips. Discussing with a few other engineers, they were in line with XR250 - this typically ignored.

They have screws with deflection shield/casing things on them that would likely reduce floor squeak. Though I wouldn't worry about floor squeak either. That generally occurs at the sheathing to joist interface with individual footfalls. If your floor is stiff enough, you shouldn't have to worry about enough movement to make it squeak at the joist to wall.

I only worry about this with floor trusses where an intermediate, non-bearing wall too tight to the bottom chord could put the the bottom chord in bending or cause stress reversals in truss members. I-joists, I design it as if there's no support, then check what the reaction would be with a support and add web stiffeners and/or squash blocks and blocking as needed to make sure I don't have a localized problem when the structure decides to behave in a non-idealized manner. Solid sawn, I just put in blocking.

phamENG said:
I only worry about this with floor trusses where an intermediate, non-bearing wall too tight to the bottom chord could put the the bottom chord in bending or cause stress reversals in truss members. I-joists, I design it as if there's no support, then check what the reaction would be with a support and add web stiffeners and/or squash blocks and blocking as needed to make sure I don't have a localized problem when the structure decides to behave in a non-idealized manner. Solid sawn, I just put in blocking.

I have never worried about this as I feel like these are self-limiting conditions.
My competitors down the road def. are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back