Floor Joists Cantilever in MiniHomes Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodman1967

Structural
Feb 11, 2008
CA
Hello all

I have a question about minihomes, specifically the way the floor joists cantilever over the support beams on either side of the home. We have a group of homes going to northern Labrador where there is a heavy snow load. These are standard minihome designs that are shipped throughout eastern Canada. Would there be a concern or is there an allowance in the code? The NBCC allows for a cantilever of the floor joists (9.23.9.9)does that apply to both ends of the joists?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Only concern I have would be if you place wall/roof loads on the tips of those propped cantilever floor joists.

If it is a standard system designed for no or low snow and it's detailed the way I am saying above for heavy snow, then flexure shear and deflection of those joists should be checked.

Building official would reject a prefabricated element of the mfg's published design loads are less than the local requirements.

I believe max cant with roof load is 24" based on 2kpa snow loading
Or simply ask the joist supplier they have specs on it.
You will need to rreinforce he joists with plywood over the cant and backspan.

P

Most mobile homes around here use a similar framing configuration. The cantilevers all seem to sag over time from creep - regardless of snow load.

check the suppliers joist specifications catalogue it has cantilever requirements, some suppliers also have their own propietary software for which you can design cantilevers for different spans,like weyerhauser forteweb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back