Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flow divider needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

automatic2

Industrial
Nov 2, 2002
CA
Does anyone know of a flow divider that can be used to seperate a flow of water into three equal flows. Flow rate is relatively small, approx. 300ml/min. Pressure is steady from supply at approx. 50psi. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A flow splitter box comes to mind, but that is for larger water flows .. essentially a vessel with 3 equal overflow pipes or drains... for your smaller flow...?...
Fluid properties would help ... if it is a "clean fluid" that won't plug small orifices, perhaps 3 equally sized orifices with identical pressure drops across them would do the trick.
Putting the flow to a surge vessel and using 3 metering pumps from there comes to mind, too...
Good luck.

I would suggest that you get your hands on one of the pharmaceutical company catalogues, Cole-Palmer comes to mind. Sometimes you can get pressure compensating flow splitters which give a somewhat even discharge. However, if as the last respondent said, anything more accurate than that, I would suggest using a four way 3/8" stainless steel spiltter from the source at 50 psi. into a manifold and then having the metering pumps do the dispensing at equal flow rates.

If your are looking for a flow metering pump, you might like to check out the web site This pump is available up to 12 channels with lots of flexability. It should handle your 50 psi and will meter very viscous and/or "dirty" fluids.

Equal orifices will produce equal flows from a single source only if the sum of flow resistance, exit pressure, and tube exit height are the same for the three tubes(three terms from fluid equation). Sizing the orifice to waste a large portion of the source pressure could overcome much of the diffrences between fluid paths, the greater the drop across the orifice the less the effect from the tubes. If the environment is clean enough for a fluid pressure regulator reliable flow regulation can be achieved by piloting from down stream of an orifice (much better flow control with less pressure loss).

Yes I agree. In fact my three lines are running to an atomizing nozzle which I believe creates a slight negative atmosphere on the fluid supply lines. Equal distribution is important as well as is delivering the entire metered charge. So a slight variation will not be catostrophic to the process. The solution does have some solid content so I'll need to test for nozzle restriction in practical applications. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back