Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flow Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus3d

Civil/Environmental
Jan 3, 2002
US
I want LDD (autocad) to automatically place flow lines
into a site based on its contours and show the basins
used to create the flow lines...I've been told by Autodesk
its not possible...I refuse to believe so though...If anyone can help, please do. Thanx.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What they may be meaning is that once you get your contour lines you know only that as definition of the terrain. To draw lines of maximum slope you need to postulate (invent) some way to proceed from the contour lines. Of course, contrarily, if you have a complete closed 3D surface defined for the terrain, one way or another you have enough data to find, define and plot the maximum slope lines.

I do understand how to do it manually..and don't wish to
invent any method to creating the flow lines...I want
Autocad or LDD to automate the process...

Thanx anyways.

sure, water drop. It will show the path that the water flows. I don't recall if it will delineate the watersheds for you, however with minimal practice it goes very quickly by hand.

Acad is not the best software for this application. ArcView however does have extensions--watershed delineator--that is able to map the flow paths and delineate the watersheds based on TIN or DEM information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back