Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

flow metering

Status
Not open for further replies.

devan203

Civil/Environmental
Feb 4, 2003
IN
We are trying various alternatives for dosing of minor quantities of additives to gasoline(motor spirit. Could anyone possibly say which could be the best syste. for dosing proposrtions of about 10 to 15 ppm. Are such sytem in use presently also.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

10 to 15 ppm is the concentration level required, but what is the required flow rate? If you cannot work away with a corriolis mass flow meter(the best meter in the low flow range), better use a dosing pump.

Believe it or not : There is a three dimensional figure but only with one face, called Mobius Strip.

Devan203, I highly recommend eliminating the complicated issues associated with the flow meters and injection ratio control..check into the Turbine Injectors available thru Hammonds Technical Services, Inc., very common for gasoline and diesel additive injection.

We use one for injecting red dye into diesel at 14 PPM (diesel flow is 2000 or so GPM).

Injector is adjusted to the PPM you want and injects based on product flow (demand), Just pump the product to the injector at 5 PSI or so (use simple injection pump and spill back any excess flow / pressure to the additive tank.

Dumb mechanical system but inexpensive, very simple to operate, calibrate, maintain...almost idiot proof (except someone will just build a better idiot!).

I would assume that for doseing small amounth of additives into a relativly large product stream you wouldnt measure the flow of the additive but use a dosing type pump where number of strokes/rev or ther defines the volume injected.

Best regards

Morten

MortenA, flow rates can vary...temperature, viscosity swings, pump wear, and especially control valves or differential head changes (tank filling, barge or truck loading) can affect the flow rate. I find the dosing pump alone fits very few situations. Even small PPM deviations in injected material can cost thousands of dollars a year depending on the senario.

for some reason im pretty sure that i didnt see you msg. before posting mine - or maybe my memory is clouded. Anyway i find you suggesting very good and have problem to support it.

Best regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back